CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 5, 2009

Journal Entry...It's a long read for my memories sake

Ficus benghalensis Indian banyan tree -this one is located in Maui

Monday- blogged, was and still is under the weather, and did nothing in the hot house.

Tuesday- continued to not feel well. The kids went to the beach with dad after he got home from work and afterwards swam in the pool. I stayed home with Eli so he could nap some...HA. He's having the worst time taking naps. It has to be on a car ride or exhausted at dinner time. If it's at dinner time, he then sleeps through dinner, wakes up just 2 hours before bedtime, then doesn't go to bed early that night. It has been tough for me to get any mommy time/quiet time and then I am never fully awake in the morning to deal with the kids in the morning.

Wednesday- grandma's last day. We're sad but happy she'll get some much needed cool air and rest. She also got the cold that Eli, myself, and Kezia have.

I called and was able to make an appointment just down the street for the kids. Thank goodness they were able to see us. It's walking distance from here and most convenient compared to the other places I may have had to take them to. Eli and Kezia both have bad ear infections in both ears. Eli's started the fevers last Friday and they continued off and on. After getting a mild fever Tuesday night, it was a for sure he needs to be looked at. I hesitated taking Kezia because her fevers never went over 100. I am glad I took her too. Her ear infections tend to occur often and with little pain...so it's hard to know when she gets them. She had the cough too, but Eli's was a lot more deep.

He was given a breathing treatment while at the doctor's office. I was then handed a machine and 3 prescriptions later, we are now giving antibiotics to both of them 4 times a day and breathing treatments to Eli 4 times a day. The antibiotic is suppose to help with the pneumonia/ deep coughing that they both have. Since Kezia's coughing wasn't so bad, he just left it up to the medicine for her and breathing treatments for Eli.

Who would have thought? It's June in Hawaii and we have possible pneumonia occurring!

After the doctors, pharmacy, vacuuming the rental car, getting a few groceries, library, it was time for the "exciting" doctor appointment. What will baby #4 be? A shy or stubborn baby it was being. The doctor's office was very quaint and unusual. She loves cats and for no particular reason she loves the Neuschvastein German castle...pictures of them both are everywhere. Her older nurse/assistant was very "touchy" and sweet....like a cute grandma would be. I was told just a week before that I wasn't going to get a big ultrasound until the doctor saw me first...and then I wasn't even sure if was going to be a "prescribed" one. The doctor's machine was old school and I asked about the big ultrasound and she said she gives an ultrasound to her mother's to be at each appointment and that she'd be able to see any problems...it was just odd to me though. I was hoping to get an ultrasound technician to give me DETAILS. Thank goodness the baby didn't move much and the machine was older, so yeah on the 9th I get to go to the hospital for a "Big Ultrasound". So we left her office with a couple of fuzzy pictures of the baby. Only a few days to go....I am wondering if we should even find out...but with having to wait 4 weeks and now another week...I have waited long enough...I have to know.

Later that day/early evening we went to Los Garcia's for dinner. We were referred to go there by the McGerry's. We were put in the cooler room thankfully and there were no other customers in that side of the restaurant. Eli fell asleep as I was parking the car. The parking situations around some parts of downtown Kailua is a JOKE. The Mexican food was pretty good...pricey, but to be expected. The waiter was good to us. He kept calling Jason "Bra/Bro" and he also was complaining about how hot the island has been. It was good to hear that from a local...that it wasn't just us visitors doing all the whining.

After dinner we took grandma to see the Iolana Palace from the outside. It was in the evening and the daily tours cost $. Kids under 5 can only go on the basement tour, so it was something we never pursued. We walked around the courtyard (after 6 p.m. free parking, wow some good news about parking). Across the street you could see the statue of King Kamehameha. In the back of the Palace you can see the Capital building. It is a unique shape. In between the buildings is a Ficus benghalensis Indian banyan tree. These trees produce limbs that go directly down to the ground and plant themselves into becoming another tree stump. They're crazy looking.

We got grandma off to the airport. Things went pretty smooth. It was a tad tricky with 2 cars and doing the whole curbside drop off when they're is security and lots of other cars around. We went to drop off the rental car afterwards and that became a joke. Trying to find a public restroom in and around Honolulu is next to impossible. I filled up the car at the Chevron (no restroom), the 24 hour drive-in restaurant (no restroom), finally we got to the car lot and thank goodness they were open (usually they are closed) and they actually had a restroom. While running up the stairs to inside the building a bug flew into my shirt (the 3rd time this has happened to me). I thought I got it out and then while I was using the bathroom Kai and Kezia notice it crawling on me while I was on the pot. So I stripped down while on the potty and never did find out where it went. As this was occurring we discovered that gum in Hawaii is very sticky. Kai let us know this. With all the driving around, finding parking, finding potties, etc. it all made for an adventurous evening.

Thursday- Grandma made it home safely...with my cell phone charger :) It's in the mail. I decided to venture with the kids to the beach. The trade winds are picking up. It made the waves quicker but the breeze was very nice. I hesitated putting lotion on my back for awhile because I need to get a base on my skin so I am not burning every time. I waited too long...I fried my back. It made it a hard night to sleep.

After the beach and a dip in the pool, we walked to the Pediatricians office and found out that Eli will need to continue breathing treatments 4 times a day till next Wednesday. So next week there will be 3 doctor appointments. The treatments are helping! Afterwards, Jason picked us up and drove us around the Marine Base. It was fun. To get to the beach you have to drive over the runway of the base. It's a beautiful base. Hill AFB is so blah compared. They had a really fun park. Finally a decently shaded and clean park to go to. The kids got to play for a bit (I have to be extra careful when I have Kezia and Eli in the sun because their medicine makes their skin extra sensitive to the sun).

When we got home, Jason took off to go surfing, and I microwaved leftovers. The kids were so good to me when I was so tired. Eli fell asleep at 7 and slept all night. He was my bedmate and kicked me all night, but I was glad he stayed asleep. I had a hard enough time coughing and dealing with my sunburned back.

Friday-Today, we're being lazy for my sake. The air inside the house is getting better. We did school work and now I need to go and make lunch and administer meds. Hopefully I'll have energy to go swimming (with a shirt). Jason has a work thing tonight, so we'll be spending the evening without him and hopefully a lot of the evening in the pool.

2 comments:

The Dipo's said...

It is ironic that you guys have colds in June... in Hawaii..... it's not funny.... but it is.... :o) I hope the second leg of your "vacation" turns out better then the first. Get feeling better!!

Sara said...

Sorry that your are having such a rough time. Sick kids are never easy or fun. Wish I was there to help out. Keep your chin up, it will get better.